Wednesday, March 31, 2010

my dating life in a sports analogy

As a girl who loves her sports, I find that sports analogies are a great way for me to better understand life sometimes. In basketball, a rebound is a good thing. You're taught to always go for the ball, blocking out during free throws is a must and the more rebounds you get in a game the better chance your team has of winning. But these same rules definitely don't apply to dating. In fact, in the world of dating, there's nothing (or at least not much) worse than getting the rebound.

Unfortunately, when it comes to dating, I seem to get more than my fair share of rebounds. One could even say I'm the rebound girl. I wish it wasn't true, but sadly it is. It's gotten so bad I'm beginning to wonder if its tattooed on my head. Seriously!

Let's just discuss a few instances of this in the last few months. Back in August, when I was trying the whole online dating thing, I "met" a guy who seemed pretty cool. We seemed to have quite a bit in common and decided that we should meet in real life. Our assumptions were correct--we did have a lot in common and got along quite well.  After a couple of dates he informed me that he had just gotten out of a long-term (18 months to be exact) serious relationship and wasn't ready for anything serious. Rebound girl!
(Soon after, he started a new relationship with a girl who wasn't me!)

Around Christmas, I "met" another guy (yes, still doing the online thing). We exchanged emails, talked on the phone and again seemed to hit it off. Come to find out he had just (JUST, like less than 1 month prior) ended a 14 year marriage. So obviously not looking for anything serious. Rebound girl!
(Oh, don't worry, soon after me he too started a relationship with a new girl, who wasn't me!)

In late February, a guy I've dated in the past contacted me through Facebook. Long story short: we went out; we made plans to go out again. Before that next date he informs me he just got out of a serious relationship and wasn't really ready to move on. Rebound girl!
(He may be the exception, but for all I know, he too has started a new relationship with a girl, who isn't me!)

Recently,. I met a man and we went out a couple of times. Great dinners, amazing conversations (I bet you can tell where this is going). Just had an all around fantastic time with this man. Well, don't be shocked, but he too had just ended a long term relationship. Oh yeah, and they've been talking again and are now trying to work things out. Rebound girl!
(In fairness to this last man, as I know he reads my blog, I respect that he had the decency to tell me in person what was happening.)

So, if you or someone you know has just ended a relationship, send them my way. No seriously! Because if recent history is any indication, I love the rebound. And, I possess some unfathomable quality that drives men beyond the rebound and into a relationship. If only this rebound stat was as meaningful in dating as it is in basketball!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great blog Mel....stumbled upon it through LinkedIn. Sounds like you're well!
-Chepe