Saturday, March 20, 2010

grateful

Last night we celebrated Brookie's 9th birthday (can't believe that beautiful munchkin is getting so old!) Brookie is my brother Justin's oldest daughter (and I promise there will be more about the birthday at a later date). I've always been close with Justin. Maybe its the fact that he's only a couple of years younger than me. Maybe its the fact that he dropped out of high school (true story) to attend BYU a year early. Maybe its the fact that I lived with him and his wife back when they had only 3 kids and number 4 was on the way. Maybe its the fact that I'm their built in babysitter (seriously, you have no idea how much I LOVE those munchkins!!) Maybe its the fact that I see him almost everyday since I use space in the real estate office to run my own business. Regardless of why, I've always shared a special bond with my brother!

Last night after Brookie has finished opening all of her gifts from family, my brother mentions that they have one more belated gift. At which point, he hands me an envelope obviously containing a card. He apologizes for the lateness of this (my birthday was back in January), but better late than never. Inside was an unbelievably sweet note wishing me belated birthday wishes and thanking me for all I do for them:

Better late than never!
We hope you know how much we appreciate your willingness 
to always watch our kids and to be a super aunt.
Our kids love you so much.
We are lucky to have you in our lives!

Included with this card was a gift card (of FAR more value than I deserve from them) to one of my favorite stores - Banana Republic. I am truly overwhelmed by their generosity. I don't think they realize how lucky I am to have them in my life. And, how lucky I am to have such wonderful nieces and nephews who are willing to hang out with me and show me such unconditional love!

I was almost brought to tears last night and am brought to tears as I write this today. (I really am girlie and not just a guy). The sweet, kind note was more than enough from this wonderful family (but I am looking forward to spending that gift card!) These little acts of kindness remind me of how truly blessed I am in my life. My life would be very sad without these sweet munchkins and their wonderful parents (and I mean ALL of them, not just my brother Justin and family!)

2 comments:

mandy said...

How sweet! We definitely have a great family!!

Aim said...

Thanks for sharing this! We sure miss being around all of you! Thanks for the wonderful reminder of extrodinarily blessed we are to have such a great family.