Monday, March 29, 2010

my celebrity lunch and beyond

Last week I had lunch with Jet Set. THE Jet Set! So, maybe she's no Justin Bieber, but a celebrity in my mind, nonetheless. Upon seeing my tweet about dining with Jet Set and CandyA** my friend Amy (of The Family Trifecta) asked how I had managed to swing a "celebrity" lunch. The short answer, I asked.

But, let's back up a bit. You see, I actually have met Jet Set before. She worked in the history department with my sister Mandy. She was also my favorite shop girl at Banana Republic back before she was The Jet Set and was a wee student at BYU. Wendy and I had also met Carina a week earlier when she was dining at Pizzeria 712 with the fabulous Noelle. Upon reading Carina's news on her blog, we decided we must dine with her. So, yes, Wendy and I asked Carina to join us for lunch and she said yes!

Upon arriving at lunch I relayed the story of my friend's excitement (maybe even a bit of jealousy) and she graciously blew it off. I then mentioned that I too felt a bit like I was having a celebrity lunch getting to dine with the beautiful, talented and all-around amazing Carina. Her response? "Whatever, I used to sell you cowl neck sweaters at Banana!" And that set the tone for the rest of the afternoon!

Well, that lunch was fantastic - not just the fabulous food at Pizzeria 712 (it's always fantastic there) but more importantly the conversation. I love finding smart, funny, sassy, gifted and successful women to spend my time with. And these women have those qualities (and more) in spades! The conversation was non-stop. We jumped from topic to topic and back again. I was completely reinvigorated for my afternoon meetings. The only regret - the lunch just wasn't long enough.

And if meeting the amazing, beautiful and talented Jet Set wasn't enough for my week, I also had the privilege of meeting (OK, I only spoke to her on the phone) another "celebrity" blogger. Because Carina is a writer, I mentioned during our lunch that I was looking for a technical writer and wondered if that fit her skill set. Unfortunately, it didn't. But, of course, Carina knew just the gal for me. A couple of emails later, and I'm on the phone with suelikestoblog of Navel Gazing. I'm sure she couldn't believe how much a girl could gush over only a phone call, but I am truly impressed by this woman. Her blog is poignant and funny and her resume of technical writing skill is impressive.

How lucky I am to get to associated with so many wonderful women in my life. And, even more impressive to me, all the women I talked about in this post are also mothers. Great mothers, to be exact! I definitely need and want more amazing women in my life!

2 comments:

Carina said...

You're too kind. And also, this is helping to inflate my sense of self-importance (the most important kind.)

TheOneTrueSue said...

I had to show this to my husband. You know, to convince him that I'm SUPER PRETEND FAMOUS.

Also, I'm now going to quote you as a reference. "Listen, this recruiter was DEEPLY IMPRESSED with me." DEEPLY IMPRESSED. That should be worth an extra $3 per hour, right?

(It was good to "meet" you by the way :>)