Friday, March 19, 2010

just one of the guys

I have often be referred to as "one of the guys." I know that this a huge compliment and I definitely take it as such. I am often one of the guys. I love sports, know more about them than most guys and in most settings would rather hang with the guys than the girls.

Throughout my adult life, I've been the "chick" all the guys wanted to hang with. I was always the girl who would cook up a big batch of chili (or some other equally delicious "man food") and have the guys over to watch football on Sundays. My roommates mostly loved me for this. They did get all the "cute" guys hanging out at the house. Unfortunately, girls are a nasty bunch and there was always the roommate who inevitably hated me because the guy she was after was more interested in me. (No, I was not doing all this cooking and football watching to impress the guys - its just who I am) 

My brother loves my ability to put any guy (ok, almost any guy) in his place when it comes to sports knowledge. All the guys quickly learned not to just throw out some random statement in an effort to "look smart" about sports - you'd better be able to defend those statements because I certainly could. Its not a show, I genuinely love watching the game and feeding all the people who wanted to watch with me.

As great as it is being "one of the guys" I've learned that, at I times, I hate being "one of the guys." Yes, I'm the cool girl who knows about sports and will watch with you (I even know you don't talk during the game, but only during the commercials - unless you're yelling at the ref over a bad call) I definitely don't need you explaining the west coast offense or a nickle defense. But, on occasion, it would be nice if I wasn't "one of the guys." For some reason, most guys seem to forget that I may know sports and all sorts of other "guy" topics, but I'm still a girl. As much as I hate to admit it sometimes, I'm a girl with all the feelings and emotions that go along with being a girl. So, yes, I can keep up with you when it comes to sports knowledge and even when playing most sports. But, don't be shocked if I cry while watching "Rudy" (or even a cheesy commercial). I'll even forgo watching a sporting event to have some "girl time" with my nieces. I like to cook, enjoy a good pedicure and can't live without my high heels! While you may think of me as "one of the guys" I think I'm so much more than that. Yes, I'll spend an entire weekend watching college basketball (after all, it is March Madness), but I'll also take time for a pedicure and my sister's bridal shower (will someone please text me updates on scores!) So, yes, I may be "one of the guys" but I'm still a girl and proud of it!

1 comment:

Amy said...

very nicely written. you're never one of the guys to me but you are always one of the family