Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Can I join you for a run?

I've become a big fan of group workouts lately. I used to always opt out and train on my own, but lately I've been doing a lot more with groups (Masters swimming, group rides with the local triathlon club, speed work sessions, etc.) Well, work took me to Scottsdale, Arizona this week. My girlfriend told me I should check out the Scottsdale Running Co. Upon visiting their web site, I discovered they do group runs on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Lucky for me Tuesday was the only night I would be in town. I thought, what better way to spend my evening, as a party crasher of a local group run. I was amazed at the number of people who showed up for the run (about 30 to 40). All the group workouts I do have no more than 10 people involved. And, what a friendly, fun bunch of runners. However, I was given the reputation of being a little competitive (I can't help it, I like to win!) I think I was even compared to that stronger, faster animal in the jungle zeroing in on its prey an going in for the kill. At the end of it all, I ate some great sushi and, I got turned on to a great old fashioned ice cream parlor; the Sugar Bowl. I can't think of a better way to spend my time in Scottsdale: running, sushi and ice cream! (Don't worry, I will be hitting In-n-Out before I leave town!)

No comments: