Monday, April 23, 2007

Running on empty

Saturday was the 4th Annual Salt Lake City marathon & 5K and the 2nd Annual Salt Lake City half-marathon. I guess they figured they could get a little more money out of people if they included a half-marathon as well since some people are only half-crazy (as opposed to those who run a full marathon) Well, I must be all sorts of crazy since I have participated in the insanity every year....2 full marathons and now 2 half-marathons. This year was of particular significance. Since I have been a little "under the weather" (apparently mono does that to you), I needed to truthfully, not run the race at all. However, I had paid my $50 and I was going to earn my nice tech shirt they give you. I also determined that I would run the entire race with my friend Natalie Blades (that's Dr. Blades, by the way....stats professor extraordinaire at BYU) since it was her first half-marathon. I must admit that although this was my slowest half-marathon, it was also my most fun!! Natalie is a great running partner and it is quite exciting to cross the finish line with someone who has accomplished a major goal. There was a point where I began to wonder if our finish would be all that great, but she did it. She ran the entire way, just as she wanted; and we beat the male winner of the marathon! (We start and finish at the same place, and yes, I do realize that they ran twice as far as we did, but a girl's gotta have goals!) All in all it was a great race and a good time was had by all. She is even looking forward to her next half-marathon and this time, I will get her across the finish line in under two hours!! Way to go Natalie!

1 comment:

mandy said...

Maybe I can be 12% as crazy as you are and one day run a 5K...