Sunday, July 1, 2007

BAM...not just for Emeril anymore!

This past weekend, I spent about 28 hours straight (yep, that's right, no sleep for me!) helping out some friends with the inaugural BAM triathlon. What an amazing event!! Rob, Mike, Erik and Charity (the race directors) put on an unbelievable race. I am shocked at the amount of time, effort and energy is required to put on a quality event. If you've never been "behind the scenes" of a race, you definitely need to do it (volunteer!!). I've never been so dirty, so tired and worked so hard all while having the time of my life! And honestly, how often do you get to 4-wheel over a run course at 3am to place 60" balloons for mile markers! Besides, there is something magical and amazing to watch a parking lot transform into a transition area with hundreds of empty bike racks, become completely filled with athletes bikes and gear bags and return back to that same parking lot in less than 12 hours! At the end of it all, I've got the sunburn, scraps, cuts and sore muscles to prove that I really did work (even if it all felt like fun!) At the end of it all, every triathlete says they will be returning next year to compete again. With 20 professional triathletes from around the world coming in and numerous others both local and across the country, this is bound to be the best race in Utah! With that being said, I've already decided that next year I won't be a volunteer, I have every intention of racing. So, if you're looking for a great race with lots of support, a fast bike course and a beautiful run course, come join me for BAM 2008!!

No comments: