Thursday, May 6, 2010

these are the numbers of my life

Ironically, I am not a numbers person. I hate math and can't do even simple calculations (unless there is a $ involved). I went into sales because there is little need for math, unless calculating a commission, bonus or the like (see previous statement). However, the other day I realized that my life is inexplicably immersed in numbers on a daily basis--I blame this on my incessant need to train for and compete in triathlons and road races.

Here are just a few of the numbers that I am continually obsessed with.
  • 64 resting heart rate
  • 182 max heart rate
  • 154 average heart rate
  • 171 max heart rate
  • 618 calories burned
  • 68 minutes workout and cool-down
  • 3 minutes left of recovery before the next interval begins
  • 90 seconds; that's all the further I am into this 10 minute interval?
  • 21 strokes; gotta get this down to 17 (wow my swimming sucks today!)
  • 5 more laps (or 25% left or 75% completed) until I get to rest again
  • 6 cookies eaten (how many calories is that? how many miles do I have to run to burn these off? note to self: no more cookies!)
  • 90 finally, only 90 seconds left in this 10 minute interval
  • 17 steps from my car to the house
Honestly, I could go on and on! I am amazed at the number of things I count on a daily basis--laps, miles, intervals, heart rate, ounces, calories, steps.  Maybe my brother has been right all these years, maybe I really do have OCD.

1 comment:

Amy said...

so now I need to go swimming and count my strokes- is that long way or short way?

and I don't want to know how many calories the 3 cookies and 1 brownie I ate have.

i think you really are ocd :) and that is one of the things i love about you.