Friday, April 2, 2010

its true, i'm a geek

I used to think I was a closet geek. You know, even though I like geeky things, I was good at keeping it hidden. People didn't just look at me and think GEEK! Don't get me wrong, I love geeks and even like being a geek myself; I just preferred to keep that a little secret about myself. Well, the other day I was informed that I'm not a closet geek and my geek was out there for the world to see.

In an effort to embrace my inner geek, here are all the reason's why I'm a geek:
  1. I'm a closet fan of sci-fi. No, I'm not a Trekie. In fact, I've never even seen an episode of Star Trek. (I did see the most recent movie and rather enjoyed it) I do however, love the original Star Wars movies. I enjoyed every second of Firefly and Serenity (and wish the series had lasted longer than 1 season). And, I was recently talked into watching Battlestar Gallactica by Jet Set (now if only someone would loan me the DVDs so I could really get my geek on!)
  2. I love gadgets and electronics gizmos. I don't know if I would survive without my iPhone. Seriously, I think I check my email about 200 times a day. Every time my phone beeps I have to see who it is (when I force myself to leave it alone, its as painful as if a limb is being removed) I have been known to hang at parties (and even on dates with other geeks) comparing apps, looking at which twitter tool others use (and which I need to add to my phone) and actually carrying on twitter conversations while sitting next to someone!
  3. I'm a crossword puzzler. Yes, I love words and language and wish I knew so many more words than are currently in my vocabulary. I figure if I keep doing crossword puzzles I'll learn even more words and be able to use obscure words in everyday language and sound really smart when conversing with friends and family (unfortunately, most in this category are smarter than me.)
  4. I'm addicted to twitter and have single-handedly (at least that's how I see it) encouraged people to get a twitter account or start using their current on and start tweeting! The irony? I've had a twitter account for about 2 years but only recently started using it. I don't tweet incessantly, but do tweet more than I ever thought I would. I also find it fascinating to read every tweet that comes into my feed and see what others are up to. And, I LOVE getting a mention via twitter. It makes me feel like one of the "cool kids" (sad, but true). So, please follow me and tweet about me @runwithmel
  5. I own about 20 different domain names that I'm not even using. Why am I so obsessed with buying domain names that I may or may not ever use? I'll tell you why - they only cost $10 and I might want to start a company where I will need that domain name. Yes, I do realize that I'm currently spending about $200 annually on domain names that are parked. But, someday I just may want to start that business that will require the use of imtoosexyforallyouothermommybloggersintheworld.com and I'll be so grateful that I already own the domain. I used to think something was wrong with me; was it normal to buy so many different domain names. Then, I started hanging with other geeks and learned, that yes, something is wrong with me. I don't own nearly as many domain names as the rest of the geek world!
In all fairness, there are parts of my life that are totally ungeeky. I'm not a gamer (although I do own a Wii). I love shoes. I bathe on a regular basis and have good hygiene habits. I actually care what I look like in public. I do triathlons. So, I think @candybottomgirl was right there is another term for my geek, HotGeek, GeekChic.... I'm open to suggestions.

3 comments:

Candybottomgirl said...

i'm so gonna help you on that imtoosexyforallyouothermommybloggersintheworld.com thingy. Best name ever. Maybe that's the niche. Brainstorm begun!

Unknown said...

I bought 3 domains today: )

Carina said...

I'm going to need a Battlestar update.